Monday, May 1, 2017

March: Individual Worth

In case you missed it, I made a New Year's resolution to pick one gospel topic each month and study it in depth. So far...

January: Patience & Kindness
February: Prayer

March: Individual Worth

I chose each of the 12 topics to study this year for different reasons. I chose individual worth for two main reasons: 

1) Lately, I have been pretty down on myself. I am doing a lot of comparing myself to others, physically, intellectually, monetarily, etc. I don't like how it makes me feel. I want to get back to the roots of who I am and why I matter. 
&

2) Because I am judging myself more harshly, I find I am also more critical of others. I want that to change too.

Each month when I write these posts, I find it impossible to share everything I read and learn. I will keep it (relatively) short this month, but know, there is so much evidence of how important we are. It's all around us every single day. For me, it all boiled down to this:

You and I are individually of infinite worth. How do we know?

First, we matter so much to our Heavenly Father, that he sent his perfect Son, Jesus Christ, down to earth to suffer and die for us. 
Second, we matter so much to Jesus Christ that he willingly suffered all things for us, physical & emotional.

In contrast to this, Satan knows how important we are and tries his hardest to make us believe otherwise. 

“If the worth of souls is great in the sight of God, it is trifling in the sight of Satan. He is bent on slowing and, if possible, destroying the progress and happiness of any soul. We see it in the violence, abuse, and despair he inspires in individuals and in societies. His philosophy is degradation, his policy is domination, and his method is coercion.”
-D. Todd Christofferson

**SHOVELS**

1) Everyone matters to the Lord. He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to suffer and atone for all of our sins, pains, and trials. He loves each one of us infinitely and unconditionally.

2) This worth demonstrates to us how we need to treat OURSELVES. We matter to the Lord enough for Him to personally and individually suffer for us. TREAT YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

3) This worth also demonstrates how we need to treat OTHERS. Each and every person matters enough to Him to do the same thing that he did for you. TREAT OTHERS ACCORDINGLY.

Next Month: The Atonement of Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment